Friday, June 12, 2009

Whatever you do...

This is actually a post I meant to write many days ago but somehow I got caught up with other things and then I had a network mishap, hence...
Last Thursday, I decided it would be a good day to get my room cleaned. There were dirt marks and footprints on the floor, a fine layer of dust over the furniture and my pile of laundry had only grown bigger (and wasn't doing anything towards improving the general state of my room). Plus, the monsoon rains/cyclone the previous week had somehow managed to seep in through one of the walls and create a puddle on the floor which, when it dried up, left these digusting yellow stains on my nice tiled floor!
Now for those who don't know, I live on the 6th floor of the hospital I work in. The room is actually an executive suite in the private ward of the hospital. I have no complaints regarding the accommodation provided because apart from the A/C and TV and internet facility (which is awesome btw), I also have the privilege of getting my room cleaned by the sweepers who attend to that ward. Yay! One less thing to do right?? I'm usually a neatness and order freak when it comes to my room, so beyond a certain point i cannot tolerate dust and clutter and that urge, that day, thankfully overtook my "It's my PERSONAL space, GO AWAY!" paranoia. Anyway... I asked the bhaiyya to clean my room...

And he did... I have never seen anyone do anything which such absolute meticulousness and dedication. Ok, that was probably a gross exaggeration, but still... He first swept, then he mopped with water, twice!! Then mopped the place again with cleaning solution... (That itself probably shows how dirty my room was!!)
What I'm trying to get at with this narrative is this... Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as if working for the Lord and not for men... No, I'm not the author of that statement, it's in the Bible, Colossians 3:23 to be precise.
The sweeper bhaiyya obviously cared about doing a good job even though the task at hand was probably neither lifesaving, nor earth shattering... And that got me thinking about my job, how much dedication and will I should be putting into doing my part well... Even if it's not exactly my favourite job in the world! There's probably no harm in trying...
Lets see how that goes and how long it lasts...

No comments:

Powered By Blogger